Friday, August 24, 2012

Structure 2.0

I've gotten a lot of comments and interest in my structure post so I thought I would do an update. While, I am doing better but it's still been difficult to force myself to keep track of my hours. It's also been difficult when working around other peoples schedule to be able to accomplish the tasks I'd like to get done. Having the sign in system is way better then nothing at all but I think I need to go more in depth to keep myself accountable. Luckily, my friend Amanda, who is a budding behavioral physiologist read my blog post and sent me a wonderful email with attached goal setting chart. I am so lucky to have smart and helpful friends! I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with goal setting and scheduling issues, there's a whole field of study dedicated to it!

Here is the email she sent me. I've also included the chart she sent me I'm going to modify it to fit my work schedule.

The overall gist of the chart is that you set up  tasks you want to accomplish and  build in reinforcers both on the daily level, and on the weekly level. You set how many time per week you want to accomplish each task, and also, how many tasks per day you're going to get done. You get a "prize" at the end of each day for getting the number of tasks done you've set out to do, a bigger prize at the end of the week for doing the tasks at or above the number of times you've planned on doing it, and an even bigger prize if you've successfully done both parts throughout the whole week. One of the keys to this type of reinforcement schedule is that you don't have to be perfect each day, just comply with your goal- whatever that may be. So, for me... two of my goals were to not buy food and go to the gym everyday. But on Wednesday, I had a jam packed day with classes, meeting, etc. so my goal for that day was to accomplish only one of those things, not both. So, on the chart, you mark how many of your goals you'd like to accomplish per day, and on the weekly level, you mark how many times per week you want to do each goal. See what I mean?  

Wow thanks Amanda! now I need to adjust this to fit my pottery needs. Part of the difference here is that I don't have the same tasks that need to be accomplished every week and sometimes when I break them down into all the different tasks that I need to do it feels overwhelming. So I feel like if I can break them down into three main categories, like Amanda did, then try to do something in those categories for a set amount of time each day that might work better. I'm going to give this system a shot for a week and see how it goes. I know part of the reason why I'm struggling so much right now is because I'm in transition in my studio but this should help get things back on track.



Week Of:
8/27
M
T
W
T
F
S
S
Reward
Studio work







5/7

Office Work








3/7

Doing Dishes







3/7

Reward
1/3
2/3
3/3
2/3
2/3
2/3
1/3
























Criteria:                                                               
Studio Work: One four hour session of uninterrupted studio work         
Office Work: One two hour session of uninterrupted office work
Dishes: Do dishes and clean off counters before bed 
Rewards:
Daily Reward: One hour of TV before bed or go out for ice cream/small treat
Weekly Reward: One Restaurant meal or movie in a theater with Ian
Bonus Reward: Full day off from everything















                       




1 comment:

  1. Great way of working, its also good for people who do stick to schedule but forget to reward themselves for a job well done! Hope you find your rhythm : )

    ReplyDelete