Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Glaze Room Organizing

Over the last few months I've been working on a little side project. Helping my friend David of Earth Alchemy Pottery get his glaze room organized. David has hundreds of glaze chemicals and spends a good deal of his time developing glazes and clay bodies for other potters and clay suppliers. Its important for him to be able to find his chemicals quickly and its important to keep the glaze room clean for health reasons. Over time all the bags the chemicals came in became difficult to move around and hard on our backs. So we decided to tackle the problem head on and get the chemicals put away in an easy to find way and a way that would be easier on our backs and lungs. Here are some photos.

 Small boxes to store coloring oxides:
 Large bins underneath the table for chemicals that are used in more quantity on wheels of course!
Storage behind the bins for tools and other studio necessities:
 Small storage cabinets for fusion buttons and test tiles:
Shoe box sized boxes for chemicals used in medium quantities:

 Fun times with organizing!


5 comments:

  1. Wow! That's some glaze room. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I'm embarrassed to look at my stuff now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very small room, we had to get very creative to make things fit. Also, it took several weeks of almost non-stop work. But it sure beats picking up 50 lb bags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish my studio was well organized, unfortunately I'm also a lifelong professional mess maker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! me too. It was somehow way easier to help someone else organize then it's ever been for me to get organized. For some reason I can see what needs to be done in someone else's studio but not mine.

    ReplyDelete